Monday, May 3, 2010

It has been very disappointing

I will not be voting for Mike McDermott in his run for state delegate. Not even if he is the only candidate in that race.

I can remember being so excited when McDermott won the position of mayor in Pocomoke. I was sitting in my hotel room in OC where I was attending a training. I saw the news about his win and had to call Lynn Boyd, my very dear friend. We celebrated. She is now deceased and I know she is very disappointed too.

I was excited because I believed his promises. That is what is so disappointing. In my view he has not fulfilled his promises. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice - not happening.

Yes, Pocomoke City now has a website. It is not kept current. Biggest problem is there is no allowance for citizen feedback. None. Rather than deal with negative feedback they choose to deal with none. If you really value good communication, you have to allow for feedback. Yes, set ground rules for civility but don't prevent feedback from happening.

As Mayor, Mcdermott developed a blog to keep us informed. This was a good initial effort, but he has not kept it up. More telling is that it is not linked to the Pocomoke website or vice versa.

McDermott now has a blog for his candidacy, ElectMikeMcDermott, and a facebook page of the same name. Negative comments have been deleted and now it appears that comments are not allowed. McDermott says he values communication. He has many times said he wants "intellectual honesty."

There are two intellectually-honest debate tactics:
1. Revealing errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts
2. Revealing errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic

You cannot do either if negative statements are not addressed appropriatedly. Deleting them is not addressing them. McDermotts actions speak louder than his words.

3 comments:

  1. Don't be alarmed at McDermott's actions. He has always been someone who tries to get his own way by either deceiving others or forcefully doing it.

    I have know Mike McDermott since he was 6 years old. He has always put himself first and others (and I mean all others)second. He will use others to accomplish his own agenda.

    You think he is "in bed" with Boss Hogg of Pocomoke City. Don't fool yourself. That is McDermott's way of trying to get into politics. Unfortunately for McDermott and his family, he made the wrong choice there and it will, in the end, be his worst enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Anon 100%+ correct. I believe McDermott has used alot of people to get into politics. I pray people will not be so stupid as elect him as a Maryland delegate. Anyone that would tell his wife to shut up when she reminded him that something needed to be done about the City Manager after he was first elected is not the kind of man I can respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SheriB, I am stunned. Did he actually tell his wife to shut up?

    This reminds me of a comment I overheard him say that he had to be careful saying anything about the 'other' female running for Mayor, as he 'didn't want to upset the soccer moms'.

    I also heard him say they'll never be a female mayor. I thinks it's time we made him 'eat' those words.

    ReplyDelete